Friday, November 7, 2008

"Call Nanny!"

A week or so ago, for reasons I can't recall now, an exasperated Daddy told Connor that the only person who could boss Mommy was Nanny (mommy's mommy). I think he wanted chocolate milk, I said no, and he tried to appeal to daddy as a higher authority. That daddy explanation got him thinking...if Nanny is the boss of Mommy, that must mean that NANNY is the key to get what he wants!

He loves talking to Nanny anyway...every phone conversation with my mom goes something like this: "Hi mom...no, Connor, mommy's talking...no Connor...no, not 'just one second'...okay, fine, talk to Nanny!" Connor chatters about whatever he's interested in for the moment -- "cicle" for motorcycle, "bock" for box, etc. I have to wrestle him to the ground to get the phone back...after all, Nanny is a favoritest person for both of us.

NOW he brings me the phone unasked whenever I tell him no or give him a timeout and tells me, "Call Nanny! I tell!" For all the world like he's tattling on me! Didn't I outgrow this sort of thing twenty years ago? I refused to let him have a granola bar just now, and he fled for the phone and tried to dial Nanny himself when I refused. God forbid he does learn speed dial anytime soon, because my poor mom is going to get a tattling toddler calling her all the time. Got news for ya, kid...Nanny's going to back mommy up; it's the Mommy Clause of the family contract. We mothers have to stick together!

No comments: