Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Quick "boy I've got a smart kid" post

Today I took the boys to Fred Meyer, the local shopping mecca, to stock up on some gf things and organic fruit. Connor and I regularly play games in line while Timmy hangs out in the Ergo since it can be a bit of a wait and we need something to pass the time. He counted all the aisles, looked for letters on the magazine, talked about pictures he saw and then helped me empty the cart. He pushed the plums up on the conveyor belt and asked me for the "pum pome."

The plum poem is this...by William Carlos Williams:

This is just to say:
That I have eaten the plums
that were in the icebox
Which you were probably saving for breakfast.

Forgive me;
They were delicious.
So sweet and so cold!

It's one of his absolute favorites, along with some Shel Silverstein and others. You have to put great enthusiasm into "So sweet and so cold!" or you will be told sternly to do it again.

I recited it for him, but forgot the line "Forgive me". He said, "No, no mom! Forgib me!" and then proceeded to recite the entire poem from start to finish as two amazed shoppers looked on. The grandmotherly woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said, "That was incredible...have you had his IQ tested? My granddaughter could never do that at 7!" Now granted, Connor hears/recites this poem at least a couple times a week - I SAID it was a favorite! - but I sure had a proud mommy moment when strangers hear what he can do and are blown away.

No comments: