Saturday, April 18, 2009

Luray Caverns Visit

Okay, time to catch up on the last few weeks! Sorry it's taken me so long to update pictures, but it's been very busy lately and that's my excuse! I was working on a big project -- tearing down wallpaper and painting the dining room -- in addition to the normal kid craziness around the house. Add in my girlfriend Kellie's baby's birth, struggles with 3 year old terrorists and a teething baby, I've been lucky that I make it out of the house with pants on some days.

A couple weeks ago, we hied ourselves off to Luray Caverns. It's about 1.5 hrs from Manassas and in the middle of Shenandoah country. Charlie and I had toured the Cave of the Winds in Colorado, and the Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico so I was prepared to admire but not be overwhelmed. But all I can say is...wow. Amazing rock formations, enormous caverns filled with amazing stalagtites, and neat history to it. I do wish there was better explanations of some of the history stuff, but since Connor doesn't usually suffer anyone to linger long it wasn't a huge problem.

Here's a really neat cavern with super still water below...reflects in perfect mirror image.



Here's Pop at the organ of the rocks...it's this neat musical display that strikes different rock formations to make ringing beautiful music throughout the caverns.


Connor was convinced that we were going to be surprised by dinosaurs (the caverns did look eerily like the Dinosaur ride at DisneyWorld). The only way he would slow down enough in his determination to get away from "LOUD dinosores" was to listen to the audio tour over and over.

No comments: