Thursday, February 14, 2008

My blogging disclaimer

After much trial and tribulation, we are all finally here and settled in the Interior of Alaska. Before I talk too much about our experiences here, I just want to say that I rather view blogging as a way to unburden my heart, air honest opinions and discuss whatever topics appear from the ether and descend into my not so formidable brainy mandibles. I am an Alaskan transplant, forced partly by choice but mostly by the vagaries of US Air Force to live up here. A blog is a handy way for my family and friends to read my humble interpretation of daily life here...it amuses them and me, and perhaps anyone else who stumbles along to this site.

That being said, I may occasionally say something negative...gasp, the horror!...about this fair 49th state. Oh dear.

So let's say you are a tourist, cruising the blogging world to get ground truth of a wonderful place you want to visit. You've read the books, you're all set for quaintness and dog sledding. Great. But my site is probably not the one you want for figuring out the best place to munch on sourdough pancakes or spot musk ox. I'm patently not a tourist, and I don't write like a tourist brochure. Feel free to read if I amuse you, and if I don't, cruise on...there's lots of lovely people out there aching to provide what you're looking for.

Or let's say you're a fervent Alaskan. You know you're out there, I've met some of you already. My hats off to you, my friend, I am already humbled and awed by the Last Frontier and vastly admire those hardy souls that have been bewitched by it. So have I, to a small extent. But please no flaming...my poor tender pregnant little heart can't take it. Occasionally I will have to whine about a 45 minute drive to a library or bookstore. I may, from time to time, bemoan the exorbitant price of a chain pizza. I even could, in the potential future, say with the utmost sincerity and respect that this place is frappin' COLD. So let's remember that this a lone little pregnant woman earnestly tapping away on a computer in a tiny North Pole apartment and keep this in mind before sending me angry little firebombs via the World Wide Web. "Love that comparison of the cold to witch's anatomy" notes are of course always welcome!

And my friends and family...I will try to paint an amusing and informative picture for you of life here "way up north where the air is cold." You military types will recognize the marching cadence. I am trying desperately to get some pictures (I never seem to have a camera handy when herds of gangly moose roam by!) and I will post them and my adventures thus far as soon as possible and hopefully keep them updated.

Toodles...

3 comments:

April Fry said...

Hey Girl, it's soooo good to finally hear from you. I wasn't terribly worried but I was starting to wonder where on Earth you were. I miss you and am sooo excited that you are having another boy. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
A.

Melissa said...

Hi,
I'm mom2olivia on em and emc, and I'm so happy to have found your blog! I'm looking forward to reading all about your adventures, and I can't wait to see pics of the moose and your boys.

Melissa

Sunshine said...

Whew... I get my fix in 2 ways. I get to read about your adventures in AK written in the most witty and hysterically sardonic tones. You should write satire's Erin. I love it.